Policies on Equal Employment Opportunity
1. The San Mateo County Community College District is committed to equal employment opportunity and full recognition of the diversity of cultures, ethnicities, language groups and abilities that are represented in its surrounding communities and student body. The District shall demonstrate its commitment to the cultural competence of its employees and students through policies, procedures, training programs, services and activities which promote diversity and mutual respect within the District work force and student body, without regard to gender, ethnicity or ability.
2. The San Mateo County Community College District is an equal opportunity employer that shall provide an educational and work environment in which no person is denied access to, or the benefits of, any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, race, color, or physical or mental ability. This includes District decisions about employment, retention, compensation, promotion, termination and/or other employment status.
3. The District shall monitor the success of equal opportunity in its recruitment, selection, retention and promotional policies and procedures by monitoring outcomes to assure no adverse impact against any person or group of individuals, due to ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, or physical or mental ability.
4. The District complies with the spirit and law of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 by providing equal opportunity for persons with disabilities. The District shall make reasonable accommodations so that persons of all levels of ability enjoy equal access to all aspects of employment and education in our District, including but not limited to educational services, selection procedures, retention and promotion.
5. The District will not tolerate discourteous, offensive or abusive conduct or language including jokes, slurs, derogatory comments, or behaviors or language regarding a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or medical condition relating to other employees, students or the public.
“Cultural Competence” refers to the skills and ability of individuals to act in a sensitive, inclusive and respectful manner in interactions with persons who are different from themselves.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
Pursuant to the spirit and law of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the District provides accommodations which are reasonable, in order to assure full access by applicants, students and employees to all District programs, services, employment activities and essential functions.
IMMIGRATION REFORM AND CONTROL ACT
All persons employed by the San Mateo County Community College District are required to provide proof of identification as well as authorization to work in the United States of America. A valid Social Security card is required of all individuals who are employed by the District.
OTHER EMPLOYMENT POLICIES
New District employees are required to be screened for freedom from tuberculosis and are required to provide proof of freedom from tuberculosis every four years, at no cost to the employees.
All new employees are required to be fingerprinted and are subject to a background check.