South Africa: An Intercultural Sojourn
South Africa’s million-plus square miles host a variety of landscapes, from breathtaking coasts and mountains in the south to the grassland bush in the north. The tip of the continent encompasses everything from the austere flats of the Karoo Desert to the subtropical beauty in Natal’s exotic beaches, capped by the majestic Drakensberg mountain range. In this trip, you will appreciate South Africa’s rich history from a visit to the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg to Nelson Mandela’s home in Soweto and a guest lecture at the University of Johannesburg. You will have the opportunity to analyze and reflect on the socioeconomic, political, historical, and religious factors that contribute to South African cultural identity.
|Tour Dates:||July 23 – August 5, 2019|
|Optional Flight Package:||To be Announced|
|Activity Level:||Moderately Active|
|Enrollment Deadline:||April 26, 2019|
Program Fee Includes:
Cultural Activities and Excursions
- Entrances to the Apartheid Museum and Mandela House.
- A visit to the University of Johannesburg for an academic program arranged by Skyline College.
- A half-day guided sightseeing tour of Cape Town by private bus including entrance to the District Six Museum.
- A standard ticket for a public tour of Robben Island by ferry.
- A round-trip ticket for a ride on the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway.
- A full day excursion to the Cape of Good Hope including transport by private minibus, entrances to Cape Point National Park and Boulder’s Beach Penguin Colony, an optional guided hike along Cape Point and the services of a professional guide throughout.
- A four-day, three-night excursion on the Garden Route including transport by private minibuses, accommodation in twin rooms in local accommodations, a Game Drive, Elephant Bush Walk, a guided visit to Cango Caves, an optional forest trail walk through Tsitsikamma National Park, a ferry cruise on Knysna Lagoon and a wine tasting and tour.
Transfers, Accommodation, and Meals
- Transfer inbound: transfers by private taxi or minibus between the airport in Johannesburg (JNB) and the hotel for all flights arriving on the scheduled arrival date.
- Accommodation: Double occupancy in twin-bedded rooms within four-star hotels in Johannesburg and Cape. Town including free wireless internet, and in other accommodations on the Garden Route, as specified on the itinerary. Single occupancy is available for $945 supplement.
- Meals: Daily breakfast throughout the program, a welcome group dinner in Johannesburg, one group lunch in Johannesburg, one group dinner on the Garden Route excursion, and a farewell group dinner at Gold’s Restaurant in Cape Town with live entertainment and participatory Djembe drumming session.
- Internal transfers: Group transfers by private taxis or minibus as required for all excursions scheduled on the program itinerary.
- Transfer outbound: transfers by private taxi or minibus between the hotel and the airport in Cape Town (CPT) for all flights departing on the scheduled departure date.
- $500 tax-deductible contribution to the San Mateo County Community Colleges Foundation Study Abroad Scholarship Fund.
- $150 San Mateo County Community College District administrative fee
Schedule an Informational Appointment
For many college students, study abroad is a special goal of their undergraduate years. Financially, the experience is often out of reach. What can you do? Take that trip you’ve been promising yourself – and help students achieve the international study opportunity they’ve been dreaming of. Participate in one of our upcoming educational travel tours, and $500 (tax-deductible) of your registration fee goes directly into our foundation’s scholarship fund to help our students live and learn in other countries. It’s a win-win – a curated travel experience for you, and a life-changing time for a student.
More Information or Questions?
For additional information or questions, please contact us.