Study abroad can seem expensive, but there are sources of financial aid available to help with the costs.
1. The Financial Aid Office on your campus is a great place to start. Tuition, some books and fees may all be eligible expenses towards which you can apply your financial aid award.
- Cañada College Financial Aid website
- College of San Mateo Financial Aid website
- Skyline College Financial Aid website
2. Apply for scholarships. There are many opportunities to receive scholarship funding for study abroad. You should apply for all that you are eligible for! Often, students receive more than one:
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship (up to $5,000), next deadline March 6, 2018: To be eligible you must be a U.S. citizen and receiving or eligible for the Federal Pell Grant
- IIE Generation Study Abroad Travel Grant ($2,000), next deadline March 7, 2018: To be eligible, you must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and demonstrate financial need
- AcademicWorks scholarships through the SMCCCD Foundation- General College Scholarships (amounts vary), next deadline March 2, 2018: To be eligible you must be a Skyline, Cañada or College of San Mateo student
- SMCCCD Foundation for Study Abroad Scholarship ($500 to $1,000), next deadline April 2, 2018: Once you are accepted into any SMCCCD Study Abroad program, you may apply
- SMCCCD Global Internship Grant ($1,000 to $4,000)- for Global Internship Participants only, next deadline April 2, 2018: Once you are accepted into any the SMCCCD Global Internship Program, you may apply
- AIFS Ambassador scholarship ($500 to $1,000)- for semester abroad students only- next deadline June 1, 2018: To be eligible you must be enrolled in the SMCCCD Semester Program with AIFS
- Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (up to $3,000 for summer programs), next deadline March 14, 2018: To be eligible, you must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, demonstrate financial
need, be participating in the SMCCCD Global Internship Program in Hong Kong or Singapore,
have a minimum 2.8 GPA, and have at least one semester left at Cañada, CSM or Skyline
3. Start a GoFundMe Campaign. Students often have success reaching out to their community- family, friends, social media followers. A little from each person goes a long way!
4. Here are some other great resources on the web for finding study abroad funding: