Study abroad can seem expensive, but there are sources of financial aid available to help with the costs.
The Financial Aid Office on your campus is a great place to start.
Tuition, some books and fees may all be eligible expenses towards which you can apply your financial aid award.
- Cañada College Financial Aid website
- College of San Mateo Financial Aid website
- Skyline College Financial Aid website
Apply for scholarships.
There are many opportunities to receive scholarship funding for study abroad. You should apply for all that you are eligible for! Often, students receive more than one:
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship (up to $5,000), next deadline Tuesday October 2, 2018: To be eligible you must be a U.S. citizen and receiving or eligible for the Federal Pell Grant
- IIE Generation Study Abroad Travel Grant ($2,000), next deadline October, 2018: To be eligible, you must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and demonstrate financial need
- SMCCCD Foundation: General College Scholarships (amounts vary), deadlines vary: To be eligible you must be a Skyline, Cañada or College of San Mateo student
- SMCCCD Foundation for Study Abroad Scholarship (amounts vary), deadline after acceptance into a study abroad program: You may apply for this scholarship upon acceptance into any SMCCCD Study Abroad program
- SMCCCD Global Internship Grant (amounts vary)- for Global Internship Participants only, next deadline February 1, 2019: You may apply for this scholarship upon acceptance into the SMCCCD Summer 2019 Global
- AIFS Ambassador scholarship ($500 to $1,000)- for NCSAC semester abroad students only (London, Barcelona, Florence)- next deadline November 7, 2018: To be eligible you must be enrolled in the SMCCCD NCSAC Semester Program
- Fund for Education Abroad (up to $5,000), next deadline Tuesday September 18, 2018 (for Spring 2019 programs): To be eligible, you must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, demonstrate financial need, program must be at least 4 weeks
Start a GoFundMe Campaign.
Students often have success reaching out to their community- family, friends, social media followers. A little from each person goes a long way!
Here are some other great resources on the web for finding study abroad funding: