Skip to contentSkip to main navigationSkip to local navigation

Financial Aid

Study abroad can seem expensive, but there are sources of financial aid available to help with the costs.

The Financial Aid Office on your campus is a great place to start.

Tuition, some books and fees may all be eligible expenses towards which you can apply your financial aid award.


The Study Abroad office holds scholarship workshops every semester. Upcoming workshops are this September, 2018! Check out the scholarship workshop schedule here  .

There are many opportunities to receive scholarship funding for study abroad. You should apply for all that you are eligible for! Often, students receive more than one.

  1. Internal Scholarships - through the SMCCCD Study Abroad Office
  2. External Scholarships - such as the Gilman Scholarship & other highly recommended scholarships
  3. Skyline/CSM/Cañada General College Scholarships - not study abroad specific. Any Skyline/CSM/Cañada College student may apply


When planning for your personal expenses and meals abroad, it is a good idea to compare the cost of living between the SF Bay Area and the location of your study abroad program. Take a look at this cost of living comparison website.


Start a GoFundMe Campaign

Students often have success reaching out to their community- family, friends, social media followers. A little from each person goes a long way!

Research other great resources on the web for finding study abroad funding:

Below are a few places to help you begin your search. Exercise caution when searching for 3rd-party scholarships as they are not affiliated with SMCCCD Study Abroad.

Gilman Scholars

Skyline Scholarship Recipient