As you can see in our student success story below, we love to help students improve their English and prepare for success in college so they can achieve their dreams.
Apply today and let us help you achieve your dreams!
Calvin's Success Story: From SVIEP to BUSINESS MAJOR at College of San Mateo
"I had valuable experiences during the SVIEP program. All my professors and the coordinator are amazing and helpful to students. They are happy to help students in any circumstances to achieve their goals. In my personal experience, taking the SVIEP program before applying to college or university is very essential to improve your confidence and they [SVIEP] will motivate students and push you to develop strong communication skills. If you want to prepare your English skills before applying to university and college, this is the right place for you!”
Calvin (Sai Saing Lai)
Silicon Valley Intensive English Program (SVIEP) is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students in the F-1 visa category. To be eligible to enter the US in F-1 student status, you must meet the admission requirements of the Silicon Valley Intensive English Program. Completing the following steps allows you to meet the requirements of the US Department of Homeland Security for the issuance of a SEVIS Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility to Non-immigrant Student. The SEVIS Form I-20 permits you to apply at a US Embassy for an F-1 Student Visa and enter the US in F-1 student status.
- For information on how to apply for an F-1 visa if you are currently outside the US click here.
- For information on how to transfer to SVIEP as an F-1 student in the US click here.
- For more information on how to change your status from J-1 visa to F-1 click here .
Application Form and Process
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Tiếng Việt
Please note that TOEFL/IELTS or other exams are NOT required for admission to SVIEP.
If you already have a TOEFL, IELTS or Pearson score you may upload an unofficial copy
of your exam results (in PDF format) with your application, but it is not required.
1. SVIEP accepts students aged 16 or older!
Requirements for applicants 16 years of age
1. Submit a copy of your high school diploma or High School Equivalency*.
- Students in China who complete grade 11 and are 16 years of age may be eligible for admission under our high school equivalency option (Click here to download and print the form), which requires the signature of the high school administrator or a government authority.
- *Students who have completed the Cambridge O Levels or the IGCSE with successful completion of at least 5 courses in the O level with an IGCSE certificate. We must see examination results before we can accept it as a High School equivalency.
2. Submit a Minor Consent form with your application. Students must be at least 16 years old on the first day of the semester for which they apply and must have a guardian that lives within 75 miles of Cañada College.
- The guardian can be a homestay, family member or family friend, and the applicant’s guardian must be at least 21 years old.
Requirements for applicants 17+ years of age
1. Submit an official copy of your high school transcripts and/or most recent English language program transcripts, as well as most recent college or university transcripts (if applicable) in PDF format. A high school diploma may be submitted but is NOT required.
2. Report all college course work previously taken. All transcripts should be in PDF format and in English or accompanied by a certified English translation. If the school was a college, university or high school within the US, official transcripts should be sent directly from the awarding institution to SVIEP. If you request an official transcript to be sent to SVIEP from your institution, have them send it to:Silicon Valley Intensive English Program
4200 Farm Hill Blvd.
Redwood City, CA 94061
2. Bank verification of funds. (see next step for details).
3. Valid Passport.
Please provide us with a digital version of your passport photograph in high resolution, maximum file size between 100kb - 500kb if possible, in JPG format ONLY. Please provide us with a digital scan (in PDF format) of the page of your passport that includes your photo, full legal name and place of birth as well as the passport expiration date clearly displayed.
To begin your application you will be asked to create a user login and password. This will allow you to save your application if you are not able to complete it all at once. To speed the application process, have all of your documents ready for upload (see checklist in Step 2 below), and your current and permanent addresses and emergency contact information at hand before you start filling out the application form. The form should take 20-30 minutes to complete.
Checklist for All Documents
(Please check you have all of the following to ensure success in filling out the Application Form and uploading your documents.)
- I am at least age 16 years old with a High School diploma or HS Equivalency* OR 18 years old with High School Diploma or transcripts. *For students from China using our high school equivalency option, be sure to upload your completed High School Equivalency Form.
- I have a completed Financial Statement PDF.
- I have a digital photo file (JPG or PNG) of my Passport photo.
- I have a digital scan (PDF) of my passport information.
- If I took the TOEFL, IELTS or Pearson, I have an unofficial copy of my results (in PDF). This is not a requirement.
- I have PDF copies of my most recent official school transcripts.
For all documents in your application, remember to save a copy for yourself to keep. All submitted documentation becomes the property of SVIEP and cannot be returned. Please note that all financial information will remain strictly confidential.
Confidential Financial Bank Statement in US Dollars
All applicants must submit a financial statement with their SVIEP application to show that they have access to the funds required for your length of stay (see “Session Participation Totals” in the chart below) in US Dollars.
We recommend that you show funds in excess of the amounts shown in the table since exchange rates and the cost of living in California may fluctuate. You must have at least the amount shown in the table below.
Please note that all financial information will remain strictly confidential.
Estimate of dependent costs, if applicable:
- Spouse: add $1,125 per 8-week session
- 1 child/no spouse: add $875 per 8-week session for first child; add $500 per 8-week session for each additional child
Confidential Financial Statement in US Dollars: You must submit BOTH:
- A formal written statement from a bank certifying that either the sponsor or the prospective student has sufficient funds (see chart below for required amount in US Dollars) on deposit to insure full payment of expenses for the student’s first year at Silicon Valley Intensive English Program, AND
- A copy of an official Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) which your sponsor plans to submit to a US Consulate. You must fill out this Financial Support Statement form and provide a completed copy of this form to SVIEP in PDF format.
Note: All submitted documentation becomes the property of Silicon Valley Intensive English Program and cannot be returned. Please note that all financial information will remain strictly confidential.
1 academic year
|Non-Refundable Application Fee||$50||$50||$50||$50|
|Tuition (minus deposit)||$2,495||$4,495||$6,995||$9,490|
|Homestay Housing with meals (estimated)||$3,000||$6,000||$9,000||$12,000|
|Other: Books & materials, transportation, student ID, misc. expenses (estimated)||$629||$1,307||$1,986||$2,664|
|Session Participation Totals||$7,322 USD||$13,000 USD||$19,827 USD||$26,000 USD|
*Please note the following: $50.00 Application Fee is non-refundable (must be included to complete the application); $500 serves as a deposit applied to tuition (due after visa is approved); full tuition is due upon arrival (assessment results will determine your level and tuition).
You have 4 payment options:
1. Pay By Flywire
SVIEP has partnered with Flywire for international payments. This services provides students and their families a cost effective and convenient method of making payments to SVIEP in foreign currencies.
Flywire allows you to:
- Pay from any country and any bank
- Save money on bank fees and ensure your payment is received in full
- Obtain excellent foreign exchange rates with a best rate guarantee
- Receive piece of mind with 24x7 multilingual customer support
- Track your payment from start to finish
For questions about making a payment with Flywire, email email@example.com
2. Pay by Bank Wire Transfer
Bank to transfer money to: Union Bank of California
Account #: xxxxxxx
ABA #: xxxxxxx
Swift Code: xxxxxxx
Amount transferred: Must add USD $11.00 international wire fee per wire transfer
Please email us with the date, the amount transferred, and the student's name.
3. Pay by Credit Card (FAX only, DO NOT EMAIL THIS INFORMATION)
We accept only Visa or MasterCard.
In your Fax, please provide us:
Name on the card
3 digit security code
Name of applying student
Our Fax number is +1-650-574-6104. Do NOT email us.
4. Pay by Cashier's Check or Money Order
Make check payable to: SMCCCD
Write 'SVIEP' and Your Name clearly on the memo line of the check
1700 West Hillsdale Blvd.
San Mateo, CA 94402
Admission decisions are sent to the email address on your application, and the acceptance package will be sent to the mailing address you chose on your application.
Your application and supporting documents will be evaluated and a decision will be emailed within 1-5 business days of receiving all supporting documents. If admitted, you will be sent an email with a copy of your acceptance letter and instructions on how to pay and mail your acceptance package* via DHL, which will include your acceptance letter, I-20 certificate of eligibility for an F-1 student visa and other important information.
*You must provide your postal code in the application form so that your acceptance package will be mailed to the right location.