District Teaching and Learning Committee
On Monday, April 6, 2020, the District Academic Senate, in coordination with the Office of the Vice Chancellor of Educational Services and Planning, created the Task Force on Teaching and Learning (TTL). This task force was charged with facilitating the District's effort to respond to the COVID-19 campus closures, including drafting policies on issues related to academic and professional matters, coordinating professional development for remote learning, and making recommendations on other related topics.
On September 13, 2021 , the District Academic Senate formally made the District Teaching and Learning (DTLC) an official standing committee of the Senate, with its faculty co-chair having a Senate vote.
The District Academic Senate's Standing Committee on Teaching and learning, or DTLC, is comprised of broad representation and makes recommendations directly to the District Academic Senate. Membership always includes the District Academic Senate President, the District Curriculum Committee (DCC) Chair and the District's Distance Education Advisory (D-DEAC) Committee Chair, representation from all areas of instruction, and classified staff and administrators as needed. It is reformed at the start of each academic year.
DTLC is tasked with addressing ongoing concerns with respect to teaching and learning, in keeping with ASCCC's 10+1 rights of faculty. There is strong collaboration with the District DEAC and DCC, and recommendations and guidances are formulated collaboratively across these groups. All recommendations and guidance documents are reviewed and voted on by the District Academic Senate.
Our DTLC Handbook further details the group's charge, membership and more. It was last updated in the Spring 2023 semester, approved by the District Academic Senate on 15 March 2023.
- Sarah Harmon, Spanish/Linguistics, OER/ZTC Coordinator (Cañada)
- Aaron McVean, Vice Chancellor of Educational Services and Planning (District Office)
- Lindsey Ayotte, District Academic Senate President, Communications (Skyline)
- Bianca Rowden-Quince, District DEAC Chair, Instructional Designer (Skyline)
- Jessica Hurless, District Curriculum Chair, Communications (Skyline)
- July Díaz Benítez and Andrea Fuentes, Instructional Designers (CSM and Skyline)
- Susan Khan, Professional Development Faculty Coordinator (CSM)
- [vacant], Library ()
- Ricardo Flores, Instructional Technologist (Skyline)
- [vacant] ()
- Chialin Hsieh, Vice President of Instruction (Cañada)
- Chris Gibson, Dean (Language Arts, Skyline)
- Chris Smith, ITS (District Office)
Agendas and Notes
DTL meets the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month (as needed), 4-5pm. The Zoom link is sent out to members and others invited to the meeting to work with us on specific topics.
One of the primary roles of DTLC is to create guidance documents and explanation documents surrounding areas of teaching and learning that need more clarity. This cross-discipline, district-wide approach ensures that as many voices as possible are brought into the process.
Presentations and Workshops
DTLC has hosted various presentations and workshops on the work that we have done. Check out our work!