Skip to contentSkip to main navigation


Q: How do I receive the results of my transcript evaluation?
A: When complete, you will be able to view your transferred courses in Degree Works. An email will be sent to your email account informing you of this. If the evaluators need additional information or have other questions, they will communicate with you via your student email.
Q: What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is an online tool students may use to view how completed courses can be applied to many educational goals.

Your official TES evaluation results are loaded on Degree Works and readily viewable by you and your counselor. With the TES evaluation completed, you can see the WHOLE PICTURE -- how all of your coursework (taken within SMCCCD and elsewhere) applies to certificates, associate degrees, CSUGE and IGETC requirements. To use Degree Works, go to your WebSMART and select Student Services.

Q: How long will it take to receive the outcome of my transcript evaluation request?

Because of the complexity of the service and the consistent high volume of requests, completion of the evaluation process is 6 to 8 weeks; however, during certain times in the year it may take 12 to 16 weeks to process your evaluation. If the transcript evaluators need you to provide additional information, the evaluation process could take longer.

Q: Will all my grades be reviewed -- even the ones that don't apply to my major?

When we receive a transcript for evaluation, every lower division, degree applicable course completed with a grade of A, B, C, D, F, CR or P is reviewed. These courses, units, and grades earned are applied as appropriate to your SMCCCD goal and used for educational planning purposes.

Courses with W, NC or NP notations are not reviewed or applied. Courses with an I, IP, RD may delay an evaluation request and require written explanation as reason for not having a final letter grade nor any other notation indicating a final outcome for the course.

Q: I have taken courses at a college in another country. How do I get these courses evaluated for IGETC and CSU General Education Breadth?

We cannot apply foreign coursework to CSU General Education certification or IGETC certification. You may be able to apply the courses towards a SMCCCD certificate or associate degree. Please review the Foreign Transcripts page of this website for more information.

Exceptions: In unique cases, foreign courses may be applied to IGETC if the foreign institution has United States regional accreditation and if course equivalency may be determined by the SMCCCD college. Additionally, languages other than English, taken at institutions outside the U.S. may be applied to IGETC Area 6, with required documentation. All other foreign coursework cannot be applied to CSU General Education certification or IGETC certification.

Q: When you look at my transcripts from colleges outside of SMCCCD what do you look for?

Lower division coursework from a college or university with SMCCCD approved accreditation is reviewed and analyzed to determine how or if it can be applied to associate degree and certificate requirements and CSU GE and IGETC certification requirements.

Coursework from another California community college that already has established articulation with the UC and CSU systems is evaluated according to that articulation. When evaluating coursework from a California community college, we use data available in

When evaluating coursework from a California State University campus or a University of California campus, we look at how the course was applied at the home institution and attempt to apply it in the same manner within SMCCCD.

When evaluating coursework from a private or out-of-state college or university that does not have independent articulation with CSU or UC, we review the coursework as per the rules and regulations for CSU GE and IGETC certification.

Q: I plan on transferring to a 4-year college or university. How can I best prepare to do so?

It is essential students who plan to transfer work with a counselor and engage in academic planning. Having your transcripts from colleges and universities outside of the SMCCCD evaluated is another essential step. You must know the “whole academic picture”, and coursework you completed outside of the SMCCCD is part of that picture.

TES will review and analyze your prior coursework and apply it, where applicable, to CSU GE and IGETC. TES cannot tell you how coursework from outside of the SMCCCD will be applied to a university major. The college or university to which you transfer will make that determination. Also, use to view important transfer information.

Q: I have attended multiple California community colleges trying to get the classes I need for transfer. Is this a problem?

No. However, it is important to know the “whole picture”, and coursework you completed outside SMCCCD is part of that picture. TES will review your coursework and apply it, where applicable, to CSU GE and IGETC.

Many students need to attend more than one school to get courses needed to meet lower division major requirements for transfer to University of California or California State University systems. If you have attended ONLY California community colleges, refer to to see how coursework from each institution will meet lower division GE and lower division major requirements.

Q: Are there any restrictions for coursework completed from an out-of-state college or university? (Specifically in English and Mathematics)

Lower division coursework from a college or university with SMCCCD accepted accreditation is reviewed and analyzed to determine how or if it can be applied to certificate and associate degree requirements and CSU GE and IGETC certification requirements.

The only “restriction” is related to CSU GE Area A3 and IGETC Area 1B – Critical Thinking and Composition. These particular requirements represent unique curriculum designed by faculty in our three public systems – University of California, California State University and California Community Colleges – to meet second semester composition AND critical thinking components. For coursework from outside of the California Community College system to be approved to meet these areas, it must meet standards identified in our DISTRICT curriculum. Most often, coursework from outside the California community college system is not approved to meet CSU GE Area A3 and/or IGETC Area 1B.

For application of mathematics courses to meet CSU GE Area B4 and/or IGETC Area 2A, the course must list a college intermediate algebra course as a prerequisite.

Q: What is the importance of catalog rights to my associate degree or certificate evaluation?

Catalog rights are associated with certificate and associate degree program requirements.

A student establishes catalog rights for the academic year in which the first enrollment is recorded at a SMCCCD college. For example, if you enroll in Fall 2012 or Spring 2013 or Summer 2013, you have catalog rights to the 2012-2013 catalog. You are held to the requirements listed for the certificate or associate degree at the time you first enroll.

However, a student may use his/her original catalog rights OR adopt the catalog rights of any subsequent catalog. For example, if when you begin your studies at SMCCCD, a specific associate degree major is not listed in your “catalog rights” year and, a year later, a major of your interest is approved and listed in a subsequent catalog, you may decide to adopt the later catalog year that supports the new major you want.

Q: Can a course I took at my previous college satisfy your prerequisite requirement for a course at an SMCCCD college?
A: It may or may not. For courses at College of San Mateo, see for more information. For courses at Cañada College or Skyline College, please check with your counseling department.