Skip to contentSkip to main navigation

Foreign Transcripts

Coursework completed at a college or university outside the United States of America can only be reviewed for certificate and associate degree requirements.

Students with foreign coursework must first use a Foreign Credential Evaluation Service, listed below, and receive a “detailed” evaluation of their foreign transcript, which divides lower-division from upper-division coursework. TES reviews the foreign credential evaluation to determine application of foreign coursework to a SMCCCD certificate or associate degree.

Consider the following limitations before investing in a foreign credential evaluation service.


Foreign coursework CANNOT be applied to CSU GE Certification nor IGETC Certification.

A four-year college may accept foreign coursework after determining how it applies to its degrees. Most four-year colleges have a foreign transcript evaluation service as part of their admissions process. Consult directly with a four-year college for information.


Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T/AS-T) use CSU GE Breadth or IGETC transfer patterns, so foreign coursework CANNOT be applied to those degrees. Foreign coursework is NOT APPLIED to speech/communication, English, or mathematics requirements or competencies. Courses must be at least 3 semester units.

Most foreign coursework DOES NOT meet associate degree general education criteria and can only be applied as elective credit. However, some approved foreign coursework is typically ONLY applied to the following associate degree general education areas:

  • Social science
  • Natural science
  • Humanities
  • Career Exploration & Self-Development

Foreign Credential Evaluation Services approved by SMCCCD are:

International Education Research Foundation, Inc (IERF) Approximate cost:
World Education Service (WES) Approximate cost:
Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute (ACEI) Approximate cost: